Wednesday, March 30, 2011

World Autism Awareness Day

 

April 2 is World Autism Awareness Day. On the eve of April 1 and 2, prominent buildings across North America and the world will turn their lights blue to raise awareness for autism and to commemorate World Autism Awareness Day. 

I was first exposed to autism when I enrolled in a SPED class as part of my MA requirement. I remember memorizing important information about autism and other developmental conditions. Everything I knew then was based on my professor's lecture, stories from classmates and observations of children with special needs. I remember our professor asking us to do a school visit and writing a report about it. I observed a number of  children with autism. I talked with their parents. I interviewed their teachers. I was given a tour of their classroom and therapy room. I wrote my report and waited for the results.  I was happy to receive my final grade. I felt I knew a lot until my very own son was diagnosed to have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). Autism is real! It is happening right before my very eyes. It was then that it hit me -straight to the heart.  As a parent of a child with autism, I know that there is so much to be done with  the little time we have in our hands. I never imagined that I could love as much as I am loving my son and my family now and that is all because of my son's diagnosis. Autism changed me. It changed the way I live my life. It allowed me to see the beauty of life despite the challenges we face each day. It allowed me to see beyond the diagnosis. Experiencing autism is something that no textbook can ever describe.

It all begins with the diagnosis. Though we some kind of expected it, thanks to the "red flags" that I memorized in class, we felt sad but relieved. Relieved to know that there was indeed an explanation and a name for our son's condition. At that time, he was labeled - Autistic.  We knew the moment we were out of the doctors clinic, something needed to be done. I felt the urgency of the situation. I wanted to do many things all at the same time. Anger, grief, loneliness? Yes, I felt all of those, too. But I forced myself to stop grieving and start seeking for answers to help my son.  The never ending research started and is ongoing as of this very moment.I never stop learning about my son's condition and I personally monitor all of his interventions. Is he high functioning? Or does he belong to the low functioning group? I really do not know and  I honestly do not care. He is living a wonderful life and I want to believe he is getting better each day. I learned to trust God to do what is best for us. And God has never failed me and will never fail me. We will recover our son! In fact, he is already on the road to recovery!




If you are a special parent like me, don't lose hope. Learn about the condition. Research. You are your child's greatest advocate. Love, love, love. It works wonders! Expect miracles to happen each day. Celebrate your child's achievements no matter how small. Pray and pray unceasingly. The Lord listens to our prayers and ask your child to pray for his healing, too.


Let us all raise awareness for Autism. Children are being diagnosed each day. Let us offer our prayers and love for each and every child affected by autism and their families too. Let us support Autism Awareness  and light it up blue on the eve of April 1 and  April 2. We are doing this for the love of Joshua and for all the children and families who, just like us, are in the same challenging but exciting journey. May God bless us all!







No comments:

Post a Comment